Thursday, December 3, 2009

Texas Style Cornbread

Image Courtesy of Catherine Martin
Special Note: The way I make it, the consistency of the cornbread looks slightly different, but I couldn't pass up on this picture with the Texas theme going on.


My mom sent me this recipe saying she didn't really like it. So I made it with little hopes of it being good. Oh was she wrong. It's delicious. We can't get enough of it at our house! It's the perfect mixture of hot and sweet and it is very filling. I am making it for my fifth time tonight. Yummy!!! The original recipe was Reba Mcentire's Mexican Cornbread. Her recipe calls for no cayenne, different cheese, and less peppers.

Ingredients
1 lb ground beef
1/3 cup onion (although I LOVE onions so I make this a heaping to sneak some more in there)
1/4 tsp cayenne
9 oz can Fritos Jalapeno Cheddar Cheese Dip
1 (8.5 oz) package of cornbread mix (I use Sylvia's Restaurant Mix)
1 (8oz) can of whole kernel corn, drained
1 Tbsp butter, melted
2 Tbsp green pepper
2 Tbsp red pepper
2 Tbsp yellow pepper

Directions
1. Brown meat, then drain
2. Add onions and cayenne and cook until tender
3. Take off stove and add cheese dip
4. Put meat mixture at the bottom of a casserole dish
5. Now make cornbread mixture as directed on the back of the package
6. Add corn, butter, and peppers to mixture
7. Spoon over meat mixture.
8. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes or until golden brown

Cost
12/09 = $10.28 (I already had eggs and milk that were needed for cornbread...also already had cayenne)

No comments: